Senior Network Engineer
For 30 years CTI has been a leading Systems’ Integrator & IT consulting firm in this region and we’re currently seeking a Senior Network Engineer for an enterprise sized organization in Baltimore County. This is a chance to work for an amazing organization.
The Senior Network Engineer is responsible for collaborating with executive management and department leaders to assess current and long-term network capacity needs and for planning, designing, developing, documenting and maintaining local area networks (LANs) and wide area networks (WANs) to meet those needs. They are also responsible for assuring the availability, stability and integrity of in-house voice, data, video, and wireless network services and for the installation, monitoring, maintenance, support, and optimization of all network hardware, software, and communication links.
Essential Job Functions:
- Responsible for the design, configuration and deployment of company LANs, WANs, and wireless networks, including servers, routers, hubs, switches, UPSs, and other hardware.
- Defines level of effort for assigned projects and tasks and communicates task and deliverable status to team members and designated stakeholders on a timely basis.
- Draws on knowledge, experience, and research on new networking options to analyze and utilize appropriate networking solutions to meet system needs.
- Responsible for monitoring and testing network availability and performance and troubleshooting problem areas as needed.
- Works to ensure the network connectivity of all servers, workstations, telephone equipment, fax machines, and other network appliances.
- Manages network assets including the maintenance of network component inventory, related documentation, and technical specifications information.
- Responsible for managing network security solutions.
- Responsible for the development, implementation and maintenance of policies, procedures, and associated training plans for network administration, usage, and disaster recovery
- Schedules and completes server and security audits, system backups, and recovery.
- Manages network related projects and provides guidance to junior members of the network team and other IT staff.
- Supports negotiations with vendors, outsourcers, and contractors to secure network products and services.
- 5-7 years in a network engineering role in enterprise scale environments in a commercial setting with a large user base and demanding service level requirements.
- Proven experience and success with LAN, WAN, WLAN, and WWAN design and implementation
- Network capacity planning, network security principles, and general network management best practices;
- Excellent hardware troubleshooting experience;
- Strong, hands-on technical knowledge of network and windows based server and PC operating systems;
- Working technical knowledge of current network hardware, protocols, and Internet standards;
- In depth knowledge of and experience with VPNs, VLANs, VOIP, SIP Trunking, Large Scale Wireless Deployments, Security software such as Anti-virus, Anti-SPAM, Anti-Spyware, and other security related technologies.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, strong listening and interpersonal skills, the ability to effectively present well-organized information to small groups, proven customer focus as demonstrated by professional demeanor, positive attitude and service orientation, skills to interact easily and professionally in group discussions, and the ability to work in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Proven problem-solving and conceptual skills, including the abilities to conduct research on network products, services, protocols, and standards to remain abreast of developments in the networking industry, and the ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
The following certifications are preferred:
o CCNP: Cisco Certified Network Professional
o CCIE: Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert
o MCSA: Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate
o MCSE: Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, electrical engineering, or related field of study. Additional years of equivalent education or related experience in the technology industry may be considered in lieu of degree.