Director of Application Development
Who we are hiring for:
For over 32 years CTI has been a leading Systems’ Integrator & IT consulting firm in the Mid-Atlantic region and we’re currently seeking a Director of Application Development for a DC area application development firm. They are looking for a player-coach who can continue driving their products and developers to new levels of success. They offer a very generous total compensation and benefit package.
The Director of Applications Development will drive software development for both external and internal business applications for the company. As Director of Applications Development, you will provide management and technical leadership in the design, development, quality assurance, and production/delivery systems of flagship applications. As part of this role, you will be required to integrate and develop a scalable and agile system that aligns with company technology directions and policies to assure rapid and cost-effective deployment.
You will manage a development team supporting varying products. You will review different project requests timeline, and cost. You will develop, distribute, support, enforce, and integrate best practices and technology standards across the organization.
What you will be responsible for:
- Provide overall strategy and technology direction for the development of applications and infrastructure supporting the Company’s solutions
- Strategic planning for all product development efforts to include the subsequent testing, release and production environment needs
- Oversee all activities of the development groups (development, QA, and application release)
- Implement / adapt the overall architecture of our products, support infrastructure including day-to-day operations in conjunction with marketing and project management teams, and content and education direction.
- Assume overall responsibility for the current and long-range direction of technology for both internal and third-party solutions by enhancing and implementing best-in-class programs, partnerships, policies, practices and systems while delivering high quality and repeatable results.
- Support and align the development of the Company’s product roadmap within a portfolio of multiple product lines.
- Lead and enhance our agile methodology for the design, development, test and release of our products and features.
- Establish departmental goals, objectives, and operating procedures keeping abreast of new technologies and issues in the software-as-a-service (SAAS) industry, web technologies, platforms, standards and methodologies
- Define and communicate corporate plans, policies, and standards for the organization for acquiring, implementing, and designing new software products
- Recruiting, manage and continuously developing through leadership and collaborative team building a world-class team of technology professionals viewed as the leader in the technology arena for business and entrepreneurial education.
- Participate in the strategic business and product planning process by being an active spokesperson and evangelist both internally and externally by communicating and promoting the Company’s technology vision and solutions.
- Evaluate new technologies and solutions in the market and be responsible for keeping abreast of trends that may impact the Company.
- Identify opportunities to leverage offshore resources and third-party diligence in order to meet business needs.
- Ensure the knowledge sharing of engineering best practices across departments and develop and monitor technical standards to ensure adherence to them.
- Establish and manage the operating budget to maximize utilization of resources and delivery of products and solutions.
Skills that you will possess in order to succeed:
- BS in Computer Science, Management Information Systems or related engineering field.
- 10-12+ years of applications development management experience working on all phases of the software development lifecycle including formulating business requirements, web application development.
- 3- 7 years of experience in AWS development including S3, EC2, and Route 53. AWS Associate level certification highly preferred.
- Extensive knowledge of PHP, jQuery, Enterprise Database Management Systems such as MySQL, front-end development frameworks such as Bootstrap, high level of experience with MVC frameworks specifically Laravel.
- Previous senior SW leadership roles in product or application development and engineering for high growth companies
- Proven leadership of large-scale software teams that have delivered great products on deadline.
- Proven experience as a leader developing, deploying, & supporting web and education platforms.
Other skills and experience that will help you succeed:
- Proven ability to recruit the best and brightest developers in the world and provide them with a vision and working environment to develop world-class applications while instituting compelling performance measurements that continually drive transparency and improved performance.
- Excellent communication skills, strong team player, and the ability to work cross functionally in a fast-paced, high-productivity startup environment.
- Experience in building and maintaining applications that are mission critical for customers.
- Experience with Source Control environments such as GitHub, BitBucket.
- Fluent in Agile development with a Scrum Master Certification highly preferred.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual(s) assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required. Management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties and to assign other duties as necessary. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position